Vive le Quebecois Libre!
Stuffed to the rims with so-cons, Alberta is only half-right when it comes to politics. The economic half. When it comes to money and wealth, Albertans are right--leave well enough alone and ask me before you put your hands in my pockets. When it comes to the social half, unfortunately, Albertans tend to get it all wrong--they like to meddle in everyone else's business.
And, yes, you heard me right. The front lines for freedom are all of them in Quebec.
Don't believe me? Try this list on for size:
1. CHOI-FM: The radio station slowly becoming synonymous with free speech hails from Quebec.
2. Dr. Jacques Chaoulli: The man who just about single-handedly brought down Canada's socialist health care system in what is surely one of the five most significant Supreme Court cases in our country's history is a fluent French speaker.
3. The Montreal Economic Institute: Want good policy? Turn to this libertarian think tank hailing from Montreal and rapidly growing in popularity.
4. Le Quebecois Libre: Canada's only one-hundred per cent, no exceptions, pro-freedom and popular publication hails from Quebec (the Western Standard has a few exceptions).
5. Pierre Lemieux: Quite possibly the most fierce liberty-lover in this country calls Quebec his home.
6. Andre Arthur: This election's only Independent MP who self-describes himself as a libertarian has "Je me souviens" on his licence plate.
7. Action Democratique du Quebec: Maybe somewhat controversially an addition to this list, but pretty kick-ass as far as the (practical) advancement of liberty goes.
8. Les invasions barbares: A gritty movie about the stupidity of Canada's health care system is both from Quebec and really, really good.
Has anyone else started to feel this particular breeze emanating from a province typically associated with statist philosophy? If you've got some suggestions, send them my way. I would love to expand this list.
NOTE: The list consists of either libertarians, or single-issue items that are pro-liberty on that issue. So, for instance, CHOI is all about free speech, and no one cares about their position on other issues.