Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Buy a vote

Politicians buying votes through social programs and certain policies is an age-old classic, best explained by the Public Choice School of economics. Some Canadians, however, want to give a new twist to the old game--instead of having their vote bought by politicians through electoral promises, they offer their votes on eBay to willing buyers directly.

This happens every year, and this year is no different. Going up to $20 for a single vote, the auction site quickly took the auction off of its site once Elections Canada made them aware of the shenanigans. I didn't have a chance to email the auctioneer this year, but I did last year. Two of them, in fact. It just so happens that I wrote about it in an article entitled "To corrupt democracy, just click here." (PDF)

From the article:
“I don’t need national day care,” West later explained in an e-mail to the Western Standard. “I owned a rifle, I didn’t want to have to ask Allan Rock for permission to use it. I don’t want the government telling me who I can or can’t marry.”

West admits he was pretty certain he was breaking the law, “but is selling a vote openly morally worse than trying to buy a vote through ridiculous promises?” And, though eBay pulled the plug, he says he’s not giving up. “If a candidate comes knocking on my door I will tell him or her that I would be happy to vote for them if they will pay cash. The amount is not important. I just want these people to realize that I want to be kissed before they screw me, that’s all.”

Preach on, brother. Preach on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home